Susannah (Allason) & Charles D. Haywood
Edward Allason (born 18 May 1819 in Swaledale, Yorkshire, England and died 25 November 1888 in 86 George Street, Launceston, Tasmania) married Elizabeth (Bessie) Davidson nee Naisbett (born 2 May 1811 in Urpeth, Durham, England and died 15 October 1871 at 200 Upper Liverpool Street, Corner Molle Street, Hobart, Tasmania) on 16 January 1843 at "Vine Cottage", 3 Elboden Place, South Hobart, Tasmania.
Edward and Elizabeth Allason together had 6 children:
Edward John Allason born 5 November 1843 in Davey St, Hobart Town and died of a Liver complaint on 22 April 1854 at 10 years in Hobart.
Susannah (Susie) Allason born 6 November 1845 in Davey St, Hobart and died 11 March 1927 in 38 Melville Street, Hobart. Susannah married Charles Duncan Haywood (18 September 1842 - 10 July 1920) on 8 October 1868 at Edward Allason's home in Liverpool Street, Hobart.
Robert Allason born 5 April 1848 in Davey Street, Hobart Town and died 6 November 1903 in 169 Upper Goulburn St, Hobart. Robert married Eliza Pheannah McLean on 4 May 1875 in "Paris House", DeWitt Street, Battery Point, Hobart, Tasmania. Robert suicided at home, 169 Upper Goulburn Street, Hobart, aged 55, on 6 November 1903 from the effects of a wound to the throat, self inflicted whilst labouring under a fit of temporary insanity. He is buried in a private grave in the Church of England section of the Sandy Bay Cemetery.
Sarah Ann Allason born 17 August 1850 in "Elboden House", Davey Street, Hobart and died 21 August 1941 in 14 Swan Street, New Town, Hobart. Sarah married William Arthur Macdougall(15 April 1849 - 2 July 1930) on 15 April 1876 in Chalmers Free Presbyterian Church, Hobart, Tasmania. (Refer to another Post about this family).
Eliza Allason born 23 August 1852 in Davey Street, Hobart Town and died from Chronic Rheumatism at 14 years on 15 December 1866 when the family were living at 72 Warwick Street, Hobart.
Edwin Allason born 21 February 1855 in Davey Street, Hobart Town. Edwin married Margaret Newton on 26 November 1891.
Susannah & Charles D. Haywood
Susannah (Susie) Allason (born 6 November 1845 in Davey Street, Hobart Town and died 11 March 1927 at 38 Melville Street, Hobart) married Charles (Chas) Duncan Haywood (born 18 September 1842 in Elizabeth Street, Hobart Town and died 10 July 1920 in "Hazelmere" 38 Melville Street, Hobart from Senility & Lobar pneumonia) on 8 October 1868 in Edward Allason's home 200 Upper Liverpool Street, Hobart, Tasmania.
Susannah & Charles Haywood had 3 children - Charles, Minnie & Clara:
Charles Robert Haywood (born 25 April 1870 in Melville Street, Hobart and died 28 August in "Hazelmere" 16 Melville Street, Hobart). Charles married Catherine Jessie (known as Jessie) McNeill (born 11 November 1877 in Spring Bay, Tasmania and died 24 December 1953 in Hobart) on 13 February 1899 in St Michael's Orford, Tasmania.
Charles & Jessie Haywood had 4 children - Clara, Keith, Aisbitt & Gwenneth:
Clara Jessie Haywood (born 6 August 1900 in King Street North, Hobart and died 1973). Clara married Henry Eric Brock on 28 May 1929.
Keith Charles Haywood (born 14 February 1905 at 16 Melville Street, Hobart and died 28 September 1944 at 80 Newdegate Street, North Hobart).
Aisbitt Joyce Haywood (born 5 June 1906 at 7 Melville Street, Hobart).
Gwenneth Doreen Haywood (born 22 June 1908 in Hobart. Gwenneth married Cyril Philip Schaedel (died 10 March 1946 in Hobart) on 4 February 1929 in Wesley Church, Hobart, Tasmania.
Minnie Elizabeth Haywood (born 23 December 1871 in Melville Street, Hobart and drowned at Hampton Beach, Melbourne on 9 June 1945). Minnie remained Single.
Clara Gertrude Haywood (born 29 December 1876 at "Excelsior House" 109 Elizabeth Street, Hobart and died 2 January 1958 in Epworth Hospital, Richmond, Melbourne). Clara married Rev. Walter Beckett (born 16 September 1866, Gloucester Road, Peckham Grove, Camberwell, Surrey, England and died 3 August 1936 in Epworth Hospital, Richmond, Melbourne) on 26 January 1897 in Wesleyan Methodist Church, Melville Street, Hobart. Refer to notes about Rev. Walter Beckett and his Ministry towards the end of this Post.
Clara & Walter Beckett had 3 children - Brightie, Minnie & Kenneth:
Aisbett Maude (Brightie) Beckett (born 27 January 1906 in Longford, Tasmania and died 20 February 1994 in "Inala" Nursing Home, Blackburn South, Melbourne). Aisbett (Brightie) married John Gavin Johnson (born 15 August 1907 in Beechworth, Victoria and died 29 August 1991 in "Inala" Nursing Home, Blackburn South, Melbourne) on 28 September 1935 at her parents home, "Deloraine" 268 Union Road, Balwyn, Melbourne.
Brightie & John Johnson had 3 children.
Minnie Caroline Beckett (born 11 September 1907 in Campbelltown, Tasmania and died 4 October 1998 in Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne). Minnie married Francis James Renkin (born 17 June 1907 in Buninyong, Victoria and died 28 August 2000 in Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne) on 13 March 1934 in Methodist Church, Surrey Hills, Melbourne.
Minnie & Francis (known as Frank) Renkin had 3 children.
Kenneth Charles Walter Beckett (born 17 April 1912 in Eaglehawk, Victoria and died 16 June 1972 in Howqua Inlet, Victoria). Kenneth married Amelia Bertha (Beth) Pascoe (born 1916 and died 31 August 2008) on 7 December 1946 in Presbyterian Church, Box Hill, Melbourne by Rev.Dr.John Flynn, the Founder of the Australian Inland Mission. Ken had been ordained by the Methodist Church after studying at Queens College and was working for the Methodists at Tennant Creek, Northern Territory 1935-1939 when he became aware of the work of the Presbyterians and the Australian Inland Mission. Kenneth then became a student at Ormond College and ordained as a Presbyterian minister. Ken and Beth met during WW11 in Darwin, Beth a nursing sister and Ken a Squadron Leader & Padre with the RAAF. After their marriage Beth assisted Ken with his pastoral work into the outback regions of Australia with A.I.M. Their young son travelled with his parents in their truck until he reached school age.
Haywood family postcards
|Haywood Family: Top - Charles & Susannah Haywood. Bottom left - Minnie, Charles & Clara Haywood. Bottom right - Minnie & Charles.|
|Haywood children: Top - Clara & Minnie Haywood. Bottom - Charles. Minnie & Clara.|
Charles Duncan Haywood was a Confectioner & Caterer and had a number of Shops in Hobart. His Refreshment Rooms were at 34 Elizabeth Strret, corner of Murray Street, Hobart.
|Ray Appleby's Bike Shop 109 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. "Excelsior House" 1875 Hobart Town Business Directory. (2006)|
|"Elizabeth - The Sewing Machine Shop", 94 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. Another Haywood Biscuit outlet. (2006).|
|"Tradewear" 135-137 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. Shop & residence above "Haywood's Bircuit Factory". 139 to left of above.|
This business in Elizabeth Street backed onto a lane in Melville Street alongside 44 Melville Street, Hobart. It is interesting to note that Haywood's "Excelsior Steam Biscuit Factory" was earlier Macdougall's Printing Office where books and newspapers were Published and Printed. Susannah Haywood's sister Sarah married William Macdougall. It was William's grandfather John Macdougall and his son John Macdougall, who were Proprietors and Editors of "Colonial Times" from 1825 - 1855.
William's father Archibald Macdougall was also a Printer. Archibald Macdougall was brought over to Adelaide, South Australia from Hobart as the Printer, complete with printing equipment, to publish South Australia's second newspaper from June 1838. In 1840 Archibald gained the Government Printing contract, but this eventually forced him into bankruptcy when the Government dishonoured a bill for nearly 1000 pounds.
Archibald is noted for Printing & Publishing "Life and Adventures of William Buckley" 1852.
|"Life and Adventures of William Buckley". Printed and Published by Archibald Macdougall, Melville Street, Hobart 1852.|
|44 Melville Street, Hobart. Lane at right backed onto 135-137-139 Elizabeth Street. Know as "Excelsior Steam Biscuit Factory from 1875 (note date on building when it was remodelled). Now on Tasmania Heritage Register as a place of historic, cultural & heritage significance. Photo taken 2006.|
|Haywood's "Excelsior Steam Biscuit Factory" (Centre), Biscuit Factory (Right), "Hazelmere" (Left) in Melville Street, Hobart. In 2006 the house was gone and Red Cross were using the other two buildings.|
|Haywood's Biscuit Factory 1903. Charles Haywood far left. Children as young as 10 might work up to 12 hours a day.|
|Newspaper advertisement for Haywoods Xmas Plum Puddings and Iced Xmas Cakes.|
|Susannah Allason & Charles D.Haywood's wedding cake 8 October 1868|
Extract from "Before we eat - a slice of Tasmania's Culmary Life" Contributed by Michael Sharland "Once Upon a Time: Some Tasmanian Tales.
Haywood's Biscuits 1854
C.D.Haywood & Co was Tasmania's besat known biscuit makers. They existed for just two years short of a century (1854 - 1952). Their Excelsior Steam Biscuit Factory was in Melville Street, Hobart and the quality of their biscuits was aid to be their success secret, their best known brand being "Snax". And they thought up the nattiest trade slogans such as "Haywood's for Happiness" and "Don't say biscuits, say Snax". After 98 years they were virtually "swallowed" by Swallow and Ariel, which in turn became one with the national company Arnott-Brockhoff-Guest Pty.Ltd.
"Once Upon A Time": Some Tasmanian Tales by Michael Sharland 1976.
Mr C.D.Haywood, respected church-goer, member of the Hobart General Hospital Board and supporter of charities, also employed girsl, teenagers mostly. They iced the cakes and packed the fancy biscuits, cleaned utensils and swept the floors - but not where there were boys. Mr Haywood was strict about this, and clamped down on fraternisation among the sexes. So, segregated by dividing walls, boys and girls never saw one another. Never in the factory were there such diversions as wolf-whistles or the occasional sighting of "a nice bit of skirt".
Moreover, to make it harder for them to meet, the girls started work somewhat later and knocked off a little earlier. This ensured that all girls would be half way home by the time the boys were let out. Tophatted and completely formal, Mr Haywood wouldn't stand for any thing that might bring boys and girls together, such as congregating outside the factory door or down the street. Even at midday break it was rarely that a boy ever saw a girl in or near the factory. Thus did drudgery for many go unleavened by a glimpse of the opposite sex.
Men and boys worked from 8am to 5pm four days a week. On Fridays they worked a span of 13 hours, from 8am to 9pm. On Saturdays it was 7am to noon. It was as well that living costs generally were low. The average wage for a boy was 12s 6d ($1.25). For a half hour tea break on Fridays they were granted 6d (5c) to buy fish and chips or a meat pie, or they could make do with broken biscuits, usually in plentiful supply.
The boy packers were on piece work. They were the junior elite, their take home pay sometimes coming to 1 Pound ($2) a week. Packing biscuits was a thoroughly tedious job. Frpom the steam ovens came long metal trays hardly cool and holding several dozen biscuits. Each biscuit was picked up by hand and packed in a large square tin lined with greaseproof paper. The boys, extremely dexterous, were paid according to the number of tins they packed.
After a while Haywood's converted their plant from steam to electric power and it was to a large extent then automatic. Large conveyors encircled most of the factory, the biscuits came direct from the cutting machines, went through the ovens, and were packed straight into the tins, ready for dispatch with only one handling. The factory was well known for its delicious wafer biscuits, either sandwiched with cream or just plain. The baking of wafers was done by gas, and the cutting by miniature saws electrically driven at high speed. After all, while the wages appeared low, the boys had reasonable pocket money for the week. Of their 12s 6d week, 10s would pay their board, at home or in a workman's boarding house. Sixpence did them for a movie show, for a few milk shakes, and by the end of the week they possibly had a few pence left over towards a used pair of boots or hand-me-down trousers. It wasn't all that bad.
After death had claimed their worthy principal, Mr C.D.Haywood, the company's management was in the hands of the following directors: Chairman, Mr C.E.H.Ferguson; Managing director, Mr M.G.Butcher (hon A.D.C. to the Governor); Mr Percy Ash and the factory manager, Mr F.Cripps - all Tasmanian born.
Haywood's were consistently good advertisers. This was another of their contributions to local industry. Any signwriter with an account with Haywood's who displayed their wares rather prominently this way, would not need to have had much of a bank overdraft. Files of both "The Mercury" and "The Tasmanian Mail", from which this story has mostly been drawn, frequently ran their page and half page advertisements in display size type. Few outlets for advertising were neglected. Even the smallest shops stocked Haywood's biscuits. "Snax" for snacks, was a seller.
And the mock-up of a bushland picnic, using a current Chev as the stage set, was but another demonstration of their enterprise, in biscuit-making and publicity.
One of Hobart's many attractive reserves, the university reserve opposite the railway station, had been the idea of Mr.C.D.Haywood. The area had once been unkept, a kind of no man's land. Mr Haywood encountered opposition to his plan of beautifying the reserve, fronting the former university. But his plan went ahead. Lawns and flower beds were laid out, and the Rose Society had since carried on this beaurification. The university reserve, as it is still called, was leased by the City Council from the Crown in 1916 on a 99 years' tenure.
"In Old Days and These and other stories" by "The Captain" Hobart 1930.
In the seventies Charles Duncan Haywood had his confectionary business premises five doors down from the corner of Melville Street. The factory was at the back, going down the lane in Melville Street, and he resided with his family at the shop. In after years he opened a biscuit shop in Murray Street, opposite where Saunders Chambers are now, and his daughter carried it on. When Messrs. A.G.Webster & Son bought the "Bird in Hand Hotel" in Argyle Street to extend their warehouse, Mr Haywood bought it from the firm, and engaging a contractor, all the stones were numbered, and the whole building removed and re-erected in Melville Street, next to where the present factory stands. Mr Haywood soon found his biscuits so popular that he decided to concentrate on biscuits alone, and disposed of his other interests. From that time the manufacturing business has steadily grown, and is now the largest and most up-to-date in the State. Upon his death, it was formed into a proprietory company (C.D.Haywood Pty. Ltd.) and in 1924 extensive structural alterations and additions were made to the premisies and the most modern plant installed. After C.D.Haywood's death the biscuit factory was bought by "Swallows" and known as "Swallow-Haywoods".
Today, Haywood's Biscuits, and particularly the famous "Snax" are known throughout the Commonwealth and from this small beginning one of Tasmania's leading industries has grown.
|Charles Duncan Haywood was Mayor of Hobart in 1907|
|Sisters Sarah Macdougall and Susannah Haywood were very close. Susannah bequeathed her wearing apparel and fifty pounds to Sarah. Rev Leslie Macdougall records in his diaries the many visits had between the Macdougall and Haywood families.|
|Robert Allason 1848 -1903|
"The Mercury" Hobart Friday Morning May 11 1900.
MARRIAGES - ALLASON - McLEAN. On May 4 1875, at the residence of the bride's parents "Paris House" De-Witt Street, Battery Point, by Rev Joseph White, assisted by Rev J.Cowperthwaite, Robert, eldest son of Edward Allason, to Eliza Pheannah, eldest daughter of R.A.McLean, both of this city (Silver Wedding).
|Eliza Allason died at 14 years from Consumption in 1866.|
"The Mercury" Hobart Monday Morning December 17 1866.
DEATHS - ALLASON. On Saturday 15th Inst. at No 72 Warwick Street, after a long and painful illness, Eliza, the youngest daughter of Mr.Edward Allason, aged 14 years. The funeral will take place on Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock, when friends are respectfully invited to attend.
"The Mercury" Hobart Town Wednesday Morning Aptil 27 1870.
BIRTHS - HAYWOOD. On the 25th April, at her residence, Melville Street, Mrs Charles D.Haywood, of a son (Charles).
"The Mercury" Hobart 22 January 1877.
BIRTHS - HAYWOOD. On the 29th December at her residence, "Excelsior House, Mrs Chas D.Haywood of a daughter. (Clara)
"The Mercury" Hobart Wednesday Morning February 10 1897.
MARRIAGES - BECKETT - HAYWOOD. On January 26th, at the Wesleyan Church, Melville Street, by the Rev Wm Shaw, assisted by the Revs S.Cuthbert, and E.H.Sugden B.A. BSc., Rev Walter Beckett, third son of the late Robert Beckett, Surrey Hills, Victoria, to Clara Gertrude, younger daughter of C.D.Haywood, Hobart.
"The Mercury" Hobart Tuesday October 8 1918.
GOLDEN WEDDING - HAYWOOD - ALLASON. On October 8th 1868, at the residence of the bride's parents, 200 Liverpool Street, Hobart, by the Rev Nathaniel Bennett, Wesleyan Minister, Charles Duncan, eldest son of Charles Haywood, to Susannah, eldest daughter of Edward Allason.
|Wesley Hall in Melville Street, Hobart where Haywood family attended. (Wendy McLennan) Photo taken 2006.|
|This photo of Charles D.Haywood was hanging in Methodist Museum, Melville Street, Hobart. Photo taken 2006.|
|"In Loving Memory of Charles Duncan Haywood". Plaque in Melville Street Methodist Church, Hobart. Photo taken 2006.|
"The Spectator" August 5 1920.
A well known Tasmanian Layman.
The late Mr.Charles Duncan Haywood, J.P. was born in Hobart on September 18th, 1842, and was associated with the Melville Street Church from childhood right up to the day of his death in his 78th year. Whilst no data is available as to the manner and time of his conversion, it is certain that as a lad of 13 years of age he joined a class for Christian fellowship, and later continued oversight of the late William Witt, for whom he had a very warm affection. After being a scholar in the Melville Street Sunday School, Mr Haywood joined the teaching staff, both there and at High Street (now Swan Street). Subsequently he conducted the Melville Street Young Men's Class for many years. So successful was he as a teacher that there still remains in the possession of the family a touching testimonial to the love and esteem of the Young Men's Association in those early days, which helped largely to draw out and develop the gifts which later adorned his public life. Giving up work in his Sunday afternoons for visiting the sick and aged, and in this way laid the foundations of that deep and sympathetic interest which he has during more recent years taken in sufferers of the Sunday School in 1886, he at once set aside all sorts, and of which was so markedly a trait in his fine character. In 1868 the late Mr.Haywood was married to Miss Susannah Allason.
As a member of Melville Street, no one loved his church more fervently or served it more devotedly than Mr Haywood did. For close on fifty three years he did the duties of door steward with a fidelity, a tact, and kindness above the ordinary. This is surely an Australian record for such service. For many years he was Treasurer of the Melville Street Church trust, sparing no pains to keep this fine property in a state of comfort and repair. By his sterling worth, he has earned a place on the roll of the most honoured laymen of our Australian Methodist Church. A man of deep piety, he carried his religion into his daily life. True to all his convictions, and ready to suffer for them (as he did many times) he was a man of stainless integrity, and of a big and warm heart.
As a father, a husband, and a friend, he was always true and loving. As a citizen and a businessman, he has always stood for what is honourable and of good report, and gave most liberally of his time and abilities to the numerous public institutions which minister to the needs of the poor and sick and infirm. The Hobart General Hospital, the Homoeopathic Hospital, the Institution for the Blind and Deaf, and the Belevolent Society, all shared in his fine gifts. As Alderman and Mayor of the City, a member of the Licensing Bench, and a Justice of the Peace, Mr.Haywood did the work of a Christian citizen in a way which won the esteem even of those who most widely differed from him in opinion and way of life.
The manner of his death was to himself singularly happy. Permitted up to the ripe age of nearly 78 years to engage actively in his daily persuits, after one brief hour of weakness the spirit of Charles Duncan Haywood quietly passed within the veil just as a new Lord's day was dawning (on Sunday July 11th 1920). Who could wish for him a more befitting entrance on Life than was thus graciously granted him. He leaves to mourn, their loss a widow and two daughters, one of whom is the wife of the Rev.Walter Beckett, who is so well known in many of our Tasmanian circuits. At the In- Memoriam service, which was conducted by the Rev H.A.Overend, in the Melville Street, Church on Sunday evening, July 18th, special references were made to the long and valuable services of Mr Haywood. The great congregation which assembled, representative of all classes, was a fine tribute to the respect in which our brother was held. The text was very appropriate to the man, "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches".
"The Argus" Tuesday August 4 1936
DEATHS - BECKETT On the 3rd August at Epworth Hospital, the Rev.Walter Beckett, Methodist Minister, the loved husband of Clare Gertrude, and devoted father of Maude (Mrs.J.G.Johnson), Minnie (Mrs F.J.Renkin), and Kenneth. In his 70th year. He was not, for God took him.
"The Methodist Spectator" September 16 1936.
IN MEMORIAM - REV WALTER BECKETT.
Rev.Walter Beckett was a man in whose character there was nothing of duplicity; and when his lamented death occurred this was the universal testimony of those who had known him best: He was a good man! He was born into a family that may be described as a minature society - he was the fourth child of Robert and Eliza Beckett in a family of thirteen, twelve of whom grew to adult life, to become active members of the Methodist Church, and to exercise an influence of graciousness characteristic of the Beckett family. The name of the late Hon.Robert Beckett, a brother, is still remembered with great esteem in church and civic life; while another brother, Rev William Beckett, serves a useful ministry in our church, at present at Queenscliff.
Walter Beckett was born in London in 1866. When he was three months old the family came to Victoria, on account of the ill health of the father. Several changes of abode were necessary, which turned out to be of advantage to the church, for as the family moved around in the metropolis they were able to do pioneering work. Mr.Beckett, sen., was instrumental in commencing several causes in this way, and it was his joy to see them develop later into live churches.
Walter definitely gave his life to Christ at the age of ten at services conducted by the late Rev.Ebenezer Taylor. He commenced preaching in the Richmond Circuit when the bounds of that Circuit extended as far as Ringwood. Later offering himself for the work of the ministry he was accepted, and in 1891 began at Corryong and Cudgewa a ministry that was to be charactised by singular grace. He completed his probation in Tasmania, and here married the lady ordained by God to be such a true helpmeet. Their first married circuit was Deloraine. In all, Rev Beckett served 19 years in Tasmania, and holds the record for continuous service in that island. His last appointment was to Castlemaine, and while there he was chairman of the District. He retired in 1932, and went to live at Mont Albert with his wife, the name given to their house being "Deloraine", in memory of their first Circuit home. At Benson Street, Canterbury, Rev Beckett rendered service as minister of that growing church, and endeared himself to his collegues and all in the circuit.
It was remarkable that his last service should be at North Richmond, for it was Richmond that he commenced preaching. After he had received the verdict of his surgeon that an operation was necessary, and that he was to go into Epwporth Hospital, he received a request to preach at North Richmond on Sunday evening, 25th July. He gladly acceded. He preached on the text, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". The service has been described as one of power, and since then there has been a gracious work amongst the young men and women. After that service he went into Epworth Hospital. He was making steady progress after the operation, and was on the way to speak a word of cheer to Rev H.J.Ham - who died a day or two later - when his heart collapsed, and he passed away with a glad, clear assurance of joy and peace.
Had he lived till 16 August Rev.Beckett would have celebrated his jubilee as a preacher. He looked forward to conducting the service on that day in the Mt.Pleasant Church (Box Hill Circuit), where he first commenced his work. He was unable to do this, but it was fitting that his place should be taken by his son, Rev.Kenneth Beckett, who had flown from Central Australia to attend his father's funeral. - W.E.J.
|Tombstone for Charles & Susannah Haywood, their son Charles & his wife Catherine and their son Keith Haywood. Wesleyan Section L41. Photo taken 2006.|
I suggest you take a look at my Davidson Family Archives Blog for further information about Elizabeth Naisbett and her first marriage to William Davidson and their 4 children:
If you have any comments or corrections for the author of this blog, please contact Joy Olney by email: email@example.com